I want to give a shout-out to my friend April. She has a blog called Normal Mormons. April is a relatively recent convert living in Idaho, and I have enjoyed hearing her observations about mormons, our sometimes strange culturalisms, and her efforts to become more Christ-like.
I comment on her blog occasionally, and have often commented that nothing really strange happens in my ward. Well, today we had an unusual event.
I usually don’t attend Sunday School, and some of you have taken exception to my previous post about being bored at church. Well, today for some reason, I decided to go to Sunday School, and was pleased to have a teacher who prepared a good lesson, and even showed 2 video clips: a seminary clip and talk by Henry B Eyring on Alma.
As the lesson ended, the bishop walked in and said, “I don’t want anyone to panic, but there is a gas leak in the building. Please pick up your kids from primary, and leave the building quickly. Church is canceled.” So, we got out 1 hour early, and my wife didn’t get to teach her relief society lesson, which I helped her prepare for. That is definitely the first time I’ve ever had church canceled after arriving there.
My wife was somewhat excited about not teaching, but I wanted to share a few things she had planned to share. The lesson was on the publication of the Book of Mormon. My wife is quite a traveller, and had a photo in her photo album of the E.B Grandin Building, where the BoM was published. Martin Harris mortgaged his farm (which he ended up losing) and paid $3000 for 5000 copies of the BoM. The printing took 6 months to complete. My wife’s cousin recently published a book and we called the publisher, and asked how much it would cost to produce 5000 copies of a book, and learned that it would cost $35,000 and would be done in 2-3 weeks. So, it is interesting to see both the cost of inflation, as well as the increase in the speed of printing.
I always enjoy church history, and it would have been nice to sneak into RS to see the comments. But, I guess she was saved by a gas leak…..